Beautiful coloring gives the hair volume and lightness, visually makes it thicker, emphasizes the texture of the strands. But it doesn’t last long. Already 2-3 weeks after the procedure, regrown roots become noticeable.
The problem is easy to fix if you know the method of uniform staining of the roots at home.
How to choose paint for the entire length of hair
Professionals divide all hair dyes into three categories. Permanent (or permanent) semi-permanent and temporary.
The first dyes are based on ammonia or its substitutes. This substance penetrates the hair structure, displaces the natural color and completely fills the hair with artificial pigment. The higher the concentration of ammonia in the product, the brighter and more saturated the new hair color is.
Semi-permanent dyes contain little or no ammonia. They work on the surface of the hair. Such dyes are suitable if you want to play with the nuances of color schemes, give the natural hair color a little more brightness or depth. They envelop the hair shaft, slightly changing its color. Such dyes are produced in the format of a gel, mousse or tonic.
Temporary dyes color hair for a minimum time. Some of them are washed off in a couple of uses of shampoo, while others completely “go away” after rinsing with plain water. On the beauty market, such dyes are presented in the format of mascaras, powders, pastes and sprays. Unlike any other type of dye, they do not damage the hair and can be used almost without restrictions.
Did you know?
According to approximate estimates of experts, there are about 5,000 chemicals in the composition of ordinary hair dye.
How to choose a dye for regrown roots
Ideally, during home dyeing, use the same dye that was used for the entire hair sheet. It is she who will match the base in color and give the best result. But situations are different. And sometimes it is better to use other options.
Goal: wait a few days before visiting the master
If you regularly visit the hairdresser and do not color your hair yourself, you can simply tint the roots with temporary compounds. For this purpose, special sprays, mascaras and hair powders are perfect, the main thing is to find a shade as close as possible to the current color.
The advantages of such dyeing are that they do not affect the texture of the hair and are easily washed off. This means that the hairdresser will easily perform professional coloring and will not encounter “surprises”.
How to use? Spray the dye in the form of a spray on the roots of the hair and wait until the product «takes». Apply mascara or powder with a special brush, evenly covering the roots with a coloring composition.
Purpose: to prolong the intensity of the color and mask the roots
A more profitable solution for those who are not yet planning a visit to the hairdresser is to use tint and toning products. If there is gray hair, they will not completely paint over it, but they will smooth out the contrast as much as possible.
Such funds practically do not affect the structure of the hair, since they work on the surface. The most common options are shampoos, masks, tonics and balms with a tinting effect.
In order to please the result, it is better to purchase products of the same brand as the paint that you used when painting. This will also make it easier to choose a shade — they will match.
How to use? Apply to wet strands after washing, hold for the time recommended in the instructions and rinse. The staining result lasts 14-20 days.
Purpose: full staining of the roots
This is already a long-term solution, as permanent and semi-permanent dyes are used. Depending on your choice, they penetrate the hair shaft or work on the surface, yet provide decent long-term results.
As mentioned above, so that there are no “surprises”, it is better to take the same dye that was used for the entire hair sheet.
How to use? Carry out staining using the detailed instructions below.
On a note!
You should not experiment at home if you have recently done keratin hair restoration, Botox, biowave or other salon procedure. The compositions that are used in the course of work remain in the hair structure for a long time and can react with the paint. Therefore, the result cannot be predicted.
What is required for home staining
- To carry out the procedure, you will need the following tools:
- A ceramic or plastic bowl for dyeing and a brush for applying dye with stiff bristles. They often come bundled and are inexpensive.
- Polyethylene or latex gloves to protect hands from dye, hairdressing negligee and hair clips.
- Comb with dense teeth and a thin long handle for even distribution of the dye.
- Oily cream to protect the skin of the forehead from the dye. It is applied in a dense layer to the skin, which borders on the scalp.
- Polyethylene film to protect items in the bathroom from accidental splashing of paint.
Before you start staining, make sure that you are not allergic to the selected composition. Do a patch test and track the response for 12 hours.
How to paint the roots yourself: step by step instructions
- Put on gloves and dilute the paint according to the instructions on the package. Leave it to stand for 3-5 minutes.
- With a thin tail of the comb, divide the hair into sections: forehead, temples, crown and nape. If the hair is thick or dense, there may be more sections. Secure each with clips.
- In turn, dissolve one strand and paint over it with the composition, going a little over the previously dyed hair. This is necessary so that there is no contrast and sharp transitions. Make sure that the paint lays down evenly and there are no gaps.
- Fix each processed strand with a clip, then dissolve the next one and work with it. Hairdressers recommend moving from temple to temple, then treating the crown and lastly the back of the head. When dyeing hair at the back of the head, use a double mirror for convenience.
- To paint over the hairs on the temples, you can use a toothbrush with well-stuffed bristles. She will easily apply paint even to a single hair.
- Keep the time recommended in the instructions and prepare to wash off the paint. In the working area, place shampoo for colored hair, care product, towel.
- Put on gloves on your hands and do a light massage of the scalp, after wetting your hair with a little water and foaming the paint on them. Distribute the composition from the hair from roots to ends. This will avoid sharp borders of staining.
- Rinse your hair under running water until it runs clear.
- Wash your hair with shampoo, gently pat dry with a towel and apply a balm.
- After washing off the balm, pat your hair again with a towel and wait for it to dry completely. It is advisable to let them dry naturally without resorting to a hair dryer.
Colored hair needs intensive restorative care. Some representatives of the fair sex believe that it is most effective to apply masks, balms and conditioners to dry hair. But it’s not!
Beauty products work only when they are applied to clean hair — without natural contaminants, dust microparticles, styling and other substances. Therefore, it is better to use them after washing your hair. This is also true for colored hair.