Causes of Bad Smell in the Refrigerator
Before proceeding with ways to get rid of the smell, first of all, it is necessary to find the cause of the unpleasant odor.
1. A common cause of an unpleasant odor is spoiled food. Any product has an expiration date, which should be adhered to and the spoiled product should be disposed of in time.
2. Failure to comply with the hygiene of the refrigerator. It is important not to forget to clean the equipment from time to time: wipe the walls of the refrigerator, wash all the shelves and drawers. After all, organic residues can accumulate on them, which spread an unpleasant odor.
3. The next important reason for the smell can be dirty packaging of the product. In the store, no one, unfortunately, monitors the cleanliness of the packaging. Therefore, you should wipe the packaging of the product with a damp cloth before putting it in the refrigerator.
4. Leftovers from liquid meals. It happens that drops from the soup accidentally fall on the shelf of the refrigerator, and after a while the remnants emit an unpleasant odor. It is necessary to remove drops in a timely manner if a complete cleaning of the refrigerator is not planned soon.
How to get rid of the smell in the refrigerator at home
If, nevertheless, you are overtaken by an unpleasant smell emanating from the refrigerator, then get ready to spend a little time eliminating it.
- So, first you need to clean the refrigerator. Before proceeding with this business, make sure that the refrigerator is turned off from the mains.
- The refrigerator is best washed with a special solution. In a convenient container, preferably with a spray bottle, add a tablespoon of soda, a liter of water and two or three drops of liquid soap. And in a separate basin, pour warm water and vinegar in a ratio of 1: 3.
- Start washing the refrigerator from the outside. Distribute the prepared solution over the surface of the refrigerator. Then, using a cloth, wipe the refrigerator with vinegar water from the basin.
- When you clean the outside of the refrigerator, proceed to the inside. Be sure to remove all removable shelves and drawers before starting. All this is best washed in a bath with soapy water. So, treat the entire inside in the same way as the outside. The baking soda solution will also help get rid of both mold and mildew, if they are present in your refrigerator.
- Another important point to pay attention to when washing the refrigerator is the water drain hole. Due to the contamination of this hole, mold often forms in the refrigerator. In order for the mold not to disturb, you need to pour a small amount of hydrogen peroxide into the hole, and also process the cork in it, which closes this hole.
- Complete the process of washing the refrigerator by cleaning the products. Look carefully at the expiration date of each, discard the expired ones, and wipe the good ones and put them in the refrigerator. And remember that wet cleaning of the refrigerator must be carried out at least 3 times a year.
How to quickly remove the smell in the refrigerator
There is an excellent prevention that will help immediately block the unpleasant odor in the refrigerator.
- To do this, you will need one filter bag for brewing tea.
- Place three activated charcoal tablets in it. If there is already a strong smell in the refrigerator, then the coal should first be crushed.
- Wrap the top of the bag over so the charcoal doesn’t fall out. If desired, you can fix it with a stapler or paper clip.
- Place the finished filter in the refrigerator on the top shelf. This filter will last 2-3 months.
How to get rid of mold in the refrigerator
If the above methods did not help to remove the mold, then the most urgent ones are listed below. Before using all methods, you must wash the refrigerator.
- Apply a slurry of soda to walls or shelves where an unpleasant smell comes from. Leave on for 2-3 hours and rinse with water.
- From the smell of mold, ammonia with hydrogen peroxide will help. Treat the place where there was or is mold with a solution, and then ventilate the refrigerator for a day.
- An emergency way to get rid of fungi and mold is bleach. Wash the walls of the refrigerator with it.