Mold can appear in every home. Any of us can face such a problem. There are different types of mold, and in addition to being unsightly, fungus can negatively affect our health.
White mold is a frequent guest of flower vases, this is due to the fact that the soil lends itself to too much moisture or impregnation with any fertilizers, and can cause an allergic reaction in humans.
Green mold most often forms on improperly stored, spoiled products, the use of which is not recommended.
Black mold is a common variety that can appear on any surface. It is recommended that you immediately take any measures to combat the fungus, otherwise you may expect unpleasant consequences in the form of a headache, fever, or the development of more serious diseases – bronchitis, asthma, and in some cases lung cancer.
Pink mold is less common than black, a favorite place for the fungus is the joints of panel and tile joints. A favorable environment for bacteria is a damp and dark room, so you can often find it in the bathroom.
Why is mold dangerous?
Mold spreads with the help of spores – microscopic particles that skillfully scatter around the house, populating all sorts of areas. In addition to its unpleasant appearance, mold harms the human body. She can develop diseases such as:
- damage to the respiratory tract (allergies, bronchitis, asthma, laryngitis);
- on the part of the skin – eczema, dermatitis;
- diseases of the oral cavity;
- fungal infections;
- eye infections (conjunctivitis).
Therefore, in order not to put yourself in danger, it is recommended to solve the problem in a timely manner, especially since the methods for solving it are available to everyone.
How to remove mold in the bathroom
The main reason for the growth of bacteria in the bathroom is the moist air inside.
White table vinegar is an effective remedy for mold in the bathroom, the moldy places should be sprayed with a spray bottle filled with undiluted vinegar and after an hour wipe the place with a sponge. It is worth airing the room after the procedure.
Every home has hydrogen peroxide. The drug has such universal means that it is intended not only for treating wounds, but also for solving other problems. It is necessary to dilute several tablets of hydroperite in water, protecting the skin with gloves. Do not rinse off the solution, just blot the treated surface with a sponge.
Baking soda also serves as an excellent remedy for getting rid of fungus. The recipe is as follows: you need to dilute a teaspoon of soda in 250 ml of warm water, rub the resulting solution into the affected area with a brush, then rinse with plain water. For the best effect, it is recommended to repeat the procedure several times.
Prevention welcome. If you managed to get rid of annoying mold, then you are unlikely to want to deal with this ailment in the future. Therefore, it is recommended to deal with the equipment of the ventilation system, wall insulation, and the elimination of any cracks in the bathroom.
How to get mold out of a washing machine
After washing, we can expect not a pleasant smell of freshness, but the smell of musty laundry. As a result of the inspection, we may see small dark, raised spots inside your washing machine. There are a lot of reasons for the development of mold, because inside the washing machine there is a favorable environment for the growth of bacteria, so you should follow the rules of care that will protect us from the fungus. Here are some tips on how to return the washing machine to its previous performance:
- it is highly undesirable to install a washing machine in the bathroom, because this is the wettest place in the apartment, respectively, it is here that bacteria is most likely to multiply. For installation, a corridor or a kitchen is better suited, but if your choice fell on the bathroom, then you should take care of good ventilation.
- after the end of the wash, we very often close the door, depriving the drum of ventilation and the same is true with the reservoir for powder and conditioner. In this case, the drops of water left after washing form excellent conditions for the growth of bacteria. As a result, high humidity is formed inside the machine, which is what mold spores need for rapid reproduction. It is recommended to air the machine after each wash.
A few homemade mold removal recipes:
- cleaning with citric acid. Fungi do not like acidic environments and aggressive alkalis, this method is effective when there is a musty smell, but there are no obvious traces of the fungus. It is necessary to thoroughly dry and wash the powder compartment, insert the tray back and fill with citric acid. We set the highest temperature and start washing. At the end, wipe dry all the insides and leave the washing machine to ventilate.
- a similar method can be repeated with vinegar, but when the water in the washing machine heats up well, you should pause the wash and wait an hour and a half. Then we start washing before the end of the time. Then we carry out the ritual of preparing the solution: mix 50 ml of 9% vinegar with 50 ml of water, wipe all internal surfaces with this liquid. We start washing again, you can choose the shortest program. After washing, wipe dry the washing machine, leave to ventilate.
If there is a lot of mold, then you need to acquire special tools, for example, you can use chlorine-containing preparations. We select the longest program with a high temperature regime, pour 1 liter of product into the powder compartment and start the cycle. The water warmed up well, so we pause the cycle for 1.5 hours, time passes and we start the wash again before the end. After finishing, pour 2 tablespoons of vinegar or 200 grams of citric acid, set the rinse cycle, wipe the inside dry at the end, ventilate.
How to remove mold under wallpaper
Do not engage in independent mold removal if its area exceeds 20% of the wall area. To prevent the appearance of mold, you should ventilate the premises, minimize the drying of laundry in the apartment, and eliminate any sources of dampness in the apartment.
For paper wallpaper, a dry cleaning method is suitable, so you need: a soft brush, an iron or a building hair dryer. First, dry the surface or pass over it with an iron. Then we remove the mold with a brush, if the wallpaper has moved away, then you need to process the area behind them and after gluing, it is recommended to go through the iron or hair dryer again.
Non-woven, acrylic wallpaper. These types of wallpaper easily tolerate exposure to moisture. Therefore, there are many folk ways to solve the problem:
- bleach or products containing chlorine. Effective sodium hypochlorite, which copes with the affected areas. You need 500 ml of bleach, 5 liters of water, mix everything and open the walls with the prepared solution using a paint brush. It is recommended to treat the affected areas several times, after waiting for complete drying.
- table vinegar and baking soda will help to cope with the fungus and prevent the appearance of new mold. It is recommended to work in a respirator. We treat the affected areas with vinegar using a spray gun, then cover them with soda, then treat them again with vinegar. Next, we proceed to remove the loose coating with a special spatula or spatula and clean the wall with sandpaper. To completely avoid repeated multiplication of bacteria, it is worth repeating the procedure several times a week for a month.
- Hydrogen peroxide is a powerful antifungal agent, so it will effectively remove mold under the wallpaper. It is enough to wipe the affected area several times, waiting for complete drying before each application.
How to remove mold from wooden furniture
We put on rubber gloves and a respirator, grab a piece of furniture and take it outside. In this way, we will avoid getting spores into the respiratory system, which is very harmful to the body and the spread of mold throughout the house.
If the stains are small, then they can be removed with the help of sunlight, leave the furniture on the street until sunset. To make sunlight especially effective, you can mix white vinegar with water (1:1) and spray this solution on the desired area. You can also treat the surface with alcohol or vodka. It is enough just to wipe the affected area.
If the furniture is varnished, then it is unlikely that the spores have penetrated the furniture, which means that ordinary detergents can help us. You can take any brush, soak it in dishwashing detergent and wipe the area affected by mold.
How to remove mold from clothes
To begin with, you can try to shake off the mold from the surface of the fabric without wetting the product. After – treat the surface with lemon juice and leave for several hours until completely dry. Only after that you can send the thing to the washing machine. You can add a few tablespoons of citric acid to the powder.
Things are more complicated with down jackets, jackets and coats. Some products cannot be washed, so you need to carefully choose a product and remove mold in stages. A good remedy is ammonia diluted 1:1 with water. Take a cotton pad and gently wipe the stain. Then we leave the thing to dry, and repeat the procedure again.
To remove the fungus from white fabrics, hydrogen peroxide is best suited, which should be abundantly wetted with problem areas. After an hour and a half, you can wash the product in the intensive wash mode.
Boiling with bleach is effective. We mix one tablespoon of bleach with half a liter of water, bring to a boil and lower the damaged item into the solution. If we see that the stains are gone, you can get the product.
It is advisable to send delicate fabrics to dry cleaning.
It is also recommended to process the shelves on which the clothes lay. This can be done with lemon juice or a solution of furacilin.
Mold in new building
It would seem that a new purchase always brings positive emotions. But what if you notice mold in your new apartment?
New buildings with mold, as a rule, indicate that the developer may have saved on building materials. Let’s say that this is a violation of ventilation, or the house is simply drying out, but you still want to live in comfortable and safe conditions. According to the law, the tenant has the right to contact the developer, who is obliged to send specialists to eliminate this situation, since there is a certain guarantee. You can also send a complaint to Rospotrebnadzor, where you must accurately describe the essence of the problem.
If you decide to deal with the elimination of mold yourself, then there are several ways:
- fungicides (chlorine);
- the drill is suitable for hard surfaces;
- a solution of ammonia and water, which must be applied to the affected area and then washed off;
- bleach is suitable for surfaces that do not have pores.
It is important to protect the respiratory tract from spores!