“At the age of 20, we don’t care what the world thinks of us. At 30, we worry about what exactly he thinks. And at 40, we suddenly find that he doesn’t think about us at all.”
And this is one of the benefits of aging: as we age, we worry less about others and think more about ourselves. And if we’re lucky, we start to live for our own pleasure. The most fascinating facts about aging are told by MedAboutMe.
1. Old age comes … at 25 years old
Until recently, scientists believed that we begin to age immediately after we were born. After all, every day of our lives makes us older. But from the point of view of gerontology, old age approaches us at 25 years old — after we reach adulthood. It is from this moment that the body really begins to age.
2. Puberty comes earlier
Statistics show that over the past 100 years, both girls and boys have reached puberty, on average, two years earlier than their parents.
3 Age Of Puberty Is Linked To Diet
It seems incredible, but the age of puberty is closely related to the amount of calories a child consumes. If a boy or girl eats a high-calorie diet that leads to obesity, they are more likely to mature earlier than their peers.
4. Not all organs age at the same rate
It’s no secret that different people age at different rates. Peers can look and feel completely different. But few people know that the tissues of our body age unevenly. In a 2013 study published in the journal Genome Biology, it turned out that breast tissue is one of the «oldest» in the body. It is older than other tissues of the female body by at least 3 years.
5. The number of cells determines the rate of aging
biological aging is caused by cell death. When a cell accumulates a lot of damage, the DNA telomeres signal to it that it can no longer divide and the cell dies. Such data were presented by a 2017 study published in the publication medical news today.
6. The environment can kill
The whole world knows about the centenarians of Okinawa. Their diet, lifestyle and environment help them live happily ever after and remain active well into old age. However, researchers note that as soon as people move to any other place, longevity goes away. Scientists are sure that this happens because the environment plays a crucial role in the aging process of the body and can force them.
7. Old age is almost always a joy.
According to studies, people feel the happiest in their youth, and then at the age of 70-80 years. Experts believe it has to do with our perception of the world. As we get older, we acquire wisdom and perceive the reality around us differently.
8. Deterioration of vision with age is predetermined
Pupil size decreases with age, making it difficult for a person to get a clear picture of the world.
9. Age has almost no effect on mental abilities.
And whether there will be a cognitive decline in functions depends on us. Research conducted in University of Illinois, showed that older air traffic controllers perform their duties just as well as their younger counterparts. At the same time, they freely control several aircraft at the same time. Scientists are sure that life experience helps to overcome any weaknesses. But they are advised to “challenge” the brain and train it with crosswords, puzzles, cognitive activities.
10. In old age, hair behaves unpredictably.
While the amount of hair on the head is noticeably reduced, new hairs can appear where they are not expected at all. For example, in older men, vegetation in the nose and ears thickens, and in older women, single “thorns” break through on the chin. Scientists explain metamorphoses by a change in the hormonal background.
11. Aging makes us become early risers.
If a person has dreamed all his life to be a “lark” and get up easily in the morning, then in old age his dream can finally come true. After the age of 60, older people fall asleep earlier in the evening, go to bed and wake up earlier. And although after the age of 65 many people often wake up at night, most of them get a good night’s rest.
12. In old age, you need to work, not rest
Scientists came to this conclusion after summing up the results of a study called longevity project. It turns out that people who work hard at jobs they enjoy as they get older live longer. Longevity also contributes to communication with friends and a happy marriage.
13. Sensitivity to pain changes with age
Scientific studies have shown that after the age of 70, the sensitivity to pain decreases slightly.
14. Heart disease plagues non-athletes.
Adults who exercise regularly have a lower risk of developing cardiovascular disease in older age. Heart disease is the leading cause of death among people over 65 years of age.
15. “Only old people go into battle”
The number of older people in the world is increasing every year. According to experts, by 2050, 22% of the world’s population will be people aged 60 and older.
16. Optimism determines life expectancy
Research shows that a positive attitude towards aging contributes to longevity. It turns out that life loves optimists… And they love it!
Oksana Orlova, MD, PhD, researcher at the St. Petersburg Institute of Bioregulation and Gerontology, laboratory of aging bioregulation, cosmetologist
If we turn to the classics of domestic medicine, then I.I. Mechnikov said that «Aging is the extinction of immunity.» This is due to its protective function from external aggression, which the body is exposed to every minute.
As a macroorganism, we are a «tidbit» for all kinds of microorganisms: viruses, bacteria, fungi, protozoa, parasites. If the defenses are weakened, the microbes get advantageous conditions for their life activity and provoke and exacerbate a typical physiological reaction: inflammation of the organs and tissues that have been attacked. And chronic inflammation is fertile ground for oncological degeneration, especially at an older age, when immunity is fading.
International Anti-Aging Institutes offer a “rescue program. Its meaning lies in the phrase «help yourself.» It has only 5 points:
one. Proper nutrition
It has 70% success in the treatment of any disease, not without reason there are 15 treatment tables. It consists of 4 principles:
1) usefulness in terms of the content of proteins, fats, carbohydrates;
2) compliance with the diet, which disciplines the production of digestive enzymes and creates the prevention of inflammatory diseases of the gastrointestinal tract;
3) calorie restriction. You have to spend more than you consume;
4) the wisdom of the ages: «Eat breakfast yourself, share lunch with a friend, give dinner to the enemy.» At night, the body should rest, recover and produce its youth hormone — melatonin, and not digest food.
2. Vitamin therapy
These are those biologically active components, without which the metabolism does not fully proceed.
3. Physical activity
It is important for the treatment and prevention of age-related diseases of the musculoskeletal system: osteoporosis (destruction of bone and cartilage tissues and sarcopenia (muscle degeneration), curvature of the spine and related internal diseases.
four. Prevention and treatment of diabetes
Everyone over the age of 65 has it, due to the age-related involution of the pancreas.
5. Complex application of bioregulatory peptides
That is, small building proteins. Peptides are designed to prolong the life of the cell by imparting additional division potential. The peptide is integrated into the DNA structure along the shortened telomere and physically lengthens it. The longer the cell divides, the longer it lives. On the scale of the tissue that consists of these cells, its structure and function are restored. And on the scale of the whole organism, this means prolonging life, improving its quality, preventing and treating age-related diseases.
Freya Upit, beauty expert
“Old age is an incurable disease,” Seneca once said. And we all want to prolong the youth not only of the soul, but also of the body, we are ready to use any means, just to deceive the time. But approaching the issue scientifically, skin aging can be defined as a loss of tissue volume and density, as well as the appearance of wrinkles and pigmentation. All this happens for three main reasons:
1. Genetics determines the ability to keep youthful and function as before. Each of us has natural changes in the body, such as the synthesis of substances, hormones and muscle structure. Genetic changes cannot be stopped, but they can be controlled with the help of antioxidants (neutralizing the effects of free radicals). It is necessary to include foods rich in antioxidants in your diet, this will allow you to postpone the premature aging laid down by nature.
2. External causes such as sun, stress, pollution and temperature changes lead to damage to elastin and collagen, resulting in sagging and wrinkles. It is necessary to protect your skin from the sun and free radicals by using cosmetics with UV protection; avoid very low or high temperatures, as well as its fluctuations and reduce stress in your life to a minimum.
3. Internal causes almost everything can be reduced to zero. It is necessary to sleep on your back, squint less, eat a balanced diet and avoid weight changes, play sports (any), visit a beautician and massage therapist, and also follow a sleep schedule.
In conclusion, I would like to note that caring for and taking care of yourself is hard work and everyone’s choice, and the sooner the better, but it’s never too late to start.
Daria Kirillova, doctor-therapist of the Federal Scientific and Practical Center of the Federal Medical and Biological Agency of Russia
To stay healthy at any age, as well as slow down the aging process, it is important to adhere to the principles of a balanced diet. The diet should mainly consist of fresh vegetables and fruits, special attention should be paid to seafood. Regular consumption of antioxidants, including vitamins A, C, E, D, Omega-3, will help maintain the health of internal organs.
It is important to try to be less nervous. Stress adversely affects the state of the body as a whole, provoking premature cell death. The quality of sleep, among other things, affects the aging process, so you should adjust the mode of work and rest. Watch your body, try to sleep at least 8 hours a day, go to bed and wake up at the same time. You should not spend half a day in bed, even on weekends. Physical training is important: let it be your favorite type of activity — swimming, walking, football — the main thing is that the classes are regular. Physical exercise will improve your mood and help maintain your muscles and bones.
In addition, do not forget to train brain activity. Try to learn a few foreign words or a poem every day, or read at least one book a month. Don’t forget to take care of your skin health. For care, it is better to choose products from natural ingredients, taking into account the individual characteristics of the skin. In addition, in order to delay the manifestation of age-related changes, it is necessary to drink enough water, since dehydration of the body slows down all metabolic processes, including dry skin and provokes the formation of wrinkles.
Regular medical examinations will help maintain the quality of life in adulthood, it is important to learn how to independently “examine” your body and note possible changes, control blood pressure. You should give up bad habits, think positively, lead an active lifestyle and adhere to the principles of proper nutrition.
Danila Kuzin, plastic surgeon, maxillofacial surgeon
Humanity is entering a new era, which 20 years ago we perceived exclusively as futurological and fantastic. Today, databases are recorded on microchips and implanted under the skin, endoprosthetics bring an individual closer to a cyborg, and bioprinters are able to recreate the structure of human tissues and organs.
However, not everything is subject to the biological age run. For thousands of years, people have fought for the formula for the elixir of eternal life and youth. Today, formulas have been replaced by technology, when engineering is combined with aesthetic medicine.
If we disassemble it by atoms, then the process of rejuvenation is the cleansing of the body from old cells. All our cells grow old — and at some point they stop starting the process of division. As we age, old cells accumulate in tissues, releasing toxic substances that cause inflammation and sometimes cancer. Already now, the first clinical trials of drugs are being developed and are being tested — senolytics, capable of specifically destroying old cells. The developers of the Supercomputer have learned to use neural networks to find ways to treat cancer. Digital models of human organs in a virtual projection fully convey the real organ, which helps surgeons to hone their new skills and consolidate the accuracy and complexity of the procedure, to minimize the likelihood of error.
3D modeling helps to solve one of the most important problems of plastic medicine — client satisfaction with the results of the operation. The doctor scans the patient using a special tablet attachment and loads the data into the simulation program. After that, the patient can observe the ongoing changes in his appearance — how the new nose or new chest will look, how the contour of the body or face will change. Thanks to virtual reality glasses, the patient can see his renewed body or a certain part of it to the smallest detail, moles. The program works for almost any surgical manipulation, and the clarity of the image creates a trusting contact between the patient and the doctor.
Elena Bakhtina, gynecologist, nutritionist, geneticist
You can treat old age as an inevitable period of life. But sometimes you look at a 25-year-old man — already an old man. And the 80-year-old delights, inspires and teaches you simply by his presence. Therefore, let’s talk about old age as a disease that you can let into your body, or you can «cure». Yes, just lower your biological age!
Here is a concept that closes all the windows and loopholes through which old age could enter your body and bring illness with it.
1. Loss of muscle and bone mass. To help daily physical activity for pleasure and the daily protein intake.
2. Decreased hormonal activity. There are no more sex hormones with age. But there are plants that correct the hormonal background.
3. Pollution of internal environments. If the apartment is not cleaned, you can call it old. And he threw out the garbage, wiped the windows, washed the floors — the apartment shines like a new penny! If necessary, conduct a program of «cleansing» the body.
4. Free radical damage. Fortunately, there are antioxidants. These are vitamins and many minerals that abound in fruits, berries and vegetables.
5. Deficiency of vital fats, minerals and vitamins. How much would you manage in a day if you stood in lines all the time? An analogy can be drawn with the cells of the body. They should have everything, then they work quickly and efficiently, without errors. Each mistake is a micron towards old age.
Take care of your body as the most expensive and valuable, self-healing and smart mechanism. And you will not be demolished.
Elena Svetlaya, psychologist, life coach
It is commonly believed that aging is a disease. I also adhere to this point of view. Here are 7 reasons why people age:
- Physiological and emotional destruction. Cells are constantly appearing and dying in our body. The body is «littered» with toxins and toxic emotions. There is a slowdown in the process of cell renewal, and this leads to aging.
- Since childhood, we experience a lot of stress, and stress has a devastating effect on the body. The hormonal background is disturbed, therefore, premature aging occurs.
- Self-restraint and repressed emotions cause us to grit our teeth, pull in our shoulders, and be in constant tension. Unexpressed emotions lead to muscle spasms, this disrupts blood circulation, and, consequently, nutrients are supplied to all organs worse.
- Very often there is no harmony with the people who surround you — with relatives, partners, loved ones. This disrupts healthy energy metabolism, which also negatively affects the state of the body and leads to aging.
- Poor ecology, polluted air poison the body, it does not have time to cleanse and accumulate toxins inside.
- Lack of physical activity, sedentary lifestyle make the body weak and old.
- Negative attitudes and programs do not allow you to develop normally, believe in yourself, achieve your goals, and think positively. And, as you know, the more negative a person experiences, the faster his youth passes.
Yulia Deeva, cosmetologist, dermatovenereologist, postgraduate student of the Department of Public Health and Healthcare, N.N. Burdenko VSMU
Gerontologists (specialists who study aging) have a professional joke: “Aging begins in utero.” The latest research scientists published in a scientific medical journal Nature Medicine, It is said that human aging occurs in three stages. This is due to changes in the structure of blood plasma.
Scientists conducted numerous (more than 4 thousand) analyzes of blood plasma proteins, the focus group consisted of people aged 18 to 95 years. According to the results of these studies, non-linear changes in the structure of blood plasma protein were found, which depended on the age of the subject.
According to the results of the studies, experts came to the conclusion that the main changes in blood plasma proteins take place in three stages: at 34, 60 and 78 years.
Scientists believe that this discovery may help in the fight against age-related diseases.
Experts conduct various experiments in the fight against aging, including: the use of medicinal cocktails, ridding the body of old cells, etc.
Even in antiquity, there were discussions about the issues of aging, alchemists in the Middle Ages studied the possibility of creating the elixir of life with the help of the philosopher’s stone.
Despite the fact that so far no one has managed to create a “recipe for old age”, there are results that are impressive.
Take the test
Test: will you become a long-liver?
Duke University scientists have created a small list of health indicators that ensure longevity. With statistical certainty, it can be argued that people with high scores can expect to live longer than average. Of course, a more accurate result can be obtained by supplementing the test with a complete medical examination, but an informal approach can also help you learn a lot about yourself. Try to answer the questions as honestly and objectively as possible.
Long and happy living: Trends and patterns of happy life expectancy in the US, 1970–2000 / Yang Y. // Social Science Research — December 2008
Stress-related telomere length in children: A systematic review / Carvalho CM // Journal of Psychiatric Research — September 2017
DNA methylation age of human tissues and cell types / Horvath S. // Genome Biology — December 10, 2013