Some women believe that taking care of their hands is less important than taking care of their face. And in vain, because the hands work more than other parts of the body and therefore need special care. In winter, this lack of care is especially noticeable and requires immediate intervention. In the article, we will tell you how to care for the skin of the hands, which cream to choose, so that the hands look beautiful and do not add extra years to their owner.
Types of hand creams
When choosing a cream, it is important to consider what function it performs: moisturizing, nourishing or protecting.
Moisturizing hand cream relieves the skin of dryness, saturating it with moisture. Such creams contain a lot of water, are light in texture, non-greasy, and quickly absorbed. They can be used in spring and summer, to moisturize hands during the day and at night.
Nourishing hand cream (hand balm) saturates the skin with vitamins and minerals, nourishes and regenerates dry skin. In terms of texture, this product is thicker and fatter, it is absorbed longer, so it is applied at night. This cream is used in the cold season, when the hands need additional nutrition due to the effects of wind and frost.
Protective hand cream (barrier cream, cold cream) thanks to the invisible film, it protects the skin from the effects of wind, cold, water, and allergens. This cream has a dense texture and is applied in advance so that it has time to be absorbed before contact with the environment. Protective creams work well with very dry, irritated, chapped skin in winter if used at night.
Composition of hand cream
In order to choose the right hand cream, it is important to know how each component in its composition affects the condition of the skin:
- Glycerin — moisturizes and softens the skin, retains moisture.
- Paraffin, petroleum jelly — softens the skin, creates a protective film, has a superior effect compared to other components.
- Silicone — forms a film («invisible gloves») that is not absorbed and can repel moisture.
- Lanolin – softens and nourishes dry, rough skin.
- Panthenol – heals damage.
- Collagen, elastin, hyaluronic acid restore skin elasticity, so they are added to antiaging creams.
- Vitamins (A, B, C, E, K), amino acids, minerals — give strength to the skin, improve its appearance, protect against stress factors.
- Extracts of plants and herbs — depending on the type of extract, they heal, relieve inflammation, moisturize, and have a pleasant aroma.
- Oils (shea, jojoba, avocado, peach, sea buckthorn, argan, olive, almond, cocoa, etc.) and waxes — moisturize and saturate the skin, some have bactericidal and anti-inflammatory effects.
We will remind that in the composition of any cosmetic product, the components are listed in descending order, that is, the first ingredient contains the most.
Tips for choosing a cream and hand care:
- Use a moisturizing cream in the warm season, a nourishing and protective one — when it’s cold. Also, the type of cream depends on the type of skin and its condition.
- If you have sensitive skin, choose hypoallergenic products that are unscented or with a minimal amount of fragrance.
- Cream with SPF in spring and summer will help to avoid premature aging of the skin and the appearance of age spots.
- Cream with a dispenser and a large volume is better to use at home, and the mini format can be carried with you.
- The consistency of the cream should be uniform, and the smell should be pleasant. Pay attention to the expiration date and storage of the opened tube.
- Consider the age factor. With long-term use, anti-age creams prevent or reduce pigmentation, smooth out wrinkles, and increase the elasticity of the skin of the hands.
- Apply the cream with smooth movements from the nails to the wrist, gently massaging each finger. This will improve blood circulation and help the cream to absorb better. The cream can be applied to the nails, which will allow you to take care of two areas at the same time.
- Use a hand scrub 1-2 times a week if the skin is flaky. Masks, paraffin therapy will also help to provide full care for your hands.
- Wash your hands thoroughly after washing and try to apply the cream regularly throughout the day.
- Use gentle detergents for personal hygiene, and clean with cleaning agents in gloves.
Velvet handles: a few important rules for caring for hands in winter
Stronger than steel: 12 ways to strengthen nails and accelerate their growth